- Close BlackBerry Link (and BlackBerry Desktop Software) if installed.
- Detach all BlackBerry smartphones, including the BlackBerry 10 smartphone that cannot be booted up.
- Using Internet Explorer, navigate to http://www.BlackBerry.com/updates, scroll down the page and click the Check for Updates button.
- Connect the BlackBerry 10 smartphone that cannot be booted up.
- Hold the power button for 10 seconds until the BlackBerry smartphone turns off, then press the power button again to power it on. A prompt will appear and the BlackBerry smartphone will show in the drop down list shortly after the LED lights up red (USB: UNKNOWN or USB: BlackBerry (PIN) may also be displayed).
- Click the OK button within 15 seconds to continue.
Once the above steps are completed successfully a dialog will be displayed stating Checking for BlackBerry Device Software updates. The BlackBerry 10 smartphone will now power itself off after 120 seconds. Shortly after the 120 seconds, the BlackBerry smartphone LED should turn green. Continue to wait after the LED turns green and a prompt will display to install BlackBerry Device Software. Follow the prompts to install the BlackBerry Software and once the installation is complete, the smartphone will boot up and should be fully recovered.